Going More Joe is like getting handed the skeleton key that opens the secret door hidden from view.
You are being escorted into the past, to the place where the magic happened. Joe wanted the world to experience his work and benefit from from his discoveries about the body and movement and breath.
Enter to learn more, there will be many ways to learn presented here, the options are out there. Try before you buy, experience the original intention of the works of Joesph Pilates.
Feel free to add to your already busting at the seems toolbox, you may decide you want more, let us help you find a teacher near you, or studio to study further and perhaps you will decide to do a Bridge program, or even a full cert. In any case, you will walk away with a much deeper understanding of what Joe Pilates wanted us to know regardless of how you choose to incorporate the work into your understanding of Pilates.
How to Start Going More Joe
In order to fully ‘get’ the differences between contemporary and classical Pilates it is important to find and study with a Classical teacher on classical apparatus, the differences in styles and equipment in varied and changes the work dramatically. If possible I urge contemporary teachers to hook up with a classical teacher and enjoy the learning.
Here are other resources to help you on your journey to Classical Pilates:
- Workshops. Are you ready to take your journey to Classical Pilates to the next level? Going More Joe always has an incredible workshop line up. Workshops are offered live, through Skype or Zoom. Every attendee ALWAYS gets the private video link with the raw footage of the workshop.
- Pilatesology Is ALL Classical ALL the time, so that you don’t get confused, the videos there have every thing from Pre Pilates and How to’s all the way through to the super advanced. I highly recommend viewing and taking Pilatesology video classes yourself, to further understand the classical way from some of the best teachers out there.
- The Facebook group, Going More Joe has running Q & A, no one is left behind here. Ask anything and get an answer, no attitude just good honest help.
- I Love Pilates Avatar for my own workouts or for filling space instead of having a group class. You listen to Clare Dunphy Hemani cue you through workouts and if you forget something, she has also included a one rep video as a reminder for each exercise, and a list of each exercise included for each particular workout.
If you choose to use it with your clients, you Rx the appropriate audio’s, they buy and then own their purchase, you charge a fee for your clients to use your studio, while you keep a watchful eye…so your studio gets used during a slower time, you get revenue, your clients get a less pricey workout…win/win. Please let Clare know, you learned about Pilates Avatar from me, It’s the only way she can keep track, and I’ll appreciate the thank you she sends my way ;))
- The Nuts N Bolts Ebook. This book GIVES YOU the Basic and Beginner Pilates systems, explaining the differences between the Classical and Contemporary teaching systems. (read full description below)
The Nuts N Bolts EBook
Blurring the Lines between Contemporary and Classical Pilates
The enormous difference between the two C’s, everything I didn’t know when starting to learn classically.
This book GIVES YOU the Basic and Beginner Pilates systems, explaining the differences between the Classical and Contemporary teaching systems.
Learning and teaching tips, how to do the transitions between the exercises, the apparatus hacks to make your contemporary pieces work more classically, and just a truckload of information gleaned from every classical teacher I’ve ever learned from on my journey.
There are links to websites blogs, vlogs and videos, packed with pics. It’s a must have even if you don’t decide to do a bridge or get whole new classical cert. It is a teacher in a book.
- Distinguish the philosophy and vocabulary of “classical” Pilates
- Work with the exercise order on the mat and reformer plus understand why’s behind the orders
- Avoid common teaching mistakes and open yourself up to new possibilities
- Link exercises together with transitions
- Execute the basic exercises on all apparatus
About Sunni Almond
Going More Joe is my journey, I was a comprehensively trained contemporary teacher with many years in, when I went to a classical event, and I met Jay Grimes, Moses Urbano, Jillian Hessel, Tiziana Trovati, and a few other very well known teachers.
I had never heard of them. I saw Russian Circus performers who do our super advanced work as their warm up, the excitement was palpable, and I knew once I laid down on the Gratz that my life would be forever changed. I felt as if I knew nothing and yet I had been teaching for years, but not THIS way! Of course it may be that Jay Grimes had his fist in my stomach the whole hour, and I had NO idea about leather straps and handles, and the extension straps. I felt like a fish out of water. I wanted more!!
So because I was single parenting with a few more years of that in front of me, I couldn’t take time away, had barely enough money to keep a roof over our heads, I could not afford another program. I thought I shouldn’t be penalized for that and classical education shouldn’t be beyond my grasp, Hell, Joseph wanted everyone to have access, so I needed to find a way. I have, and I call it Going More Joe, I did what I could, when I could. I have made a life out of studying, and and increasing my knowledge base. I had all the the contemporary apparatus, and as I learned, I bought, and sold and now have a full classical studio. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but you may find you want to try new/old things, and get on these different pieces. It’s a love connection for me, and I invite you to join me as we travel back in time to the real deal!